House was built in 1866 as the residence of the manager of the Lagan Canal, and
remained in that use till the last superintendant of the canal left in 1954 and
the canal was closed. Having previously restored two of the 18th century
lockhouses on the canal, Hearth was delighted to be able to assist the Lagan
Navigation Trust in their project to restore the house along with the adjoining
Union Locks and lockkeeper’s cottage at Sprucefield near Lisburn.
Hearth acquired the house, which was by
then a building at risk and had been spot-listed, with the assistance of a loan
from Ulster Garden Villages. The house was then brought into sound repair and
temporary planning permission obtained to enable the Trust to use the house as
their offices. Their eventual plan is to acquire the building from Hearth and
convert the ground floor into a museum in connection with the Navigation, along
with additional development of the stable and grounds.